Aklan State University - New Washington
The Aklan State University College of Fisheries and Marine Sciences started as the New Washington Junior High School way back in 1948 when it was hard for many young people to go to Kalibo to secure high school education. Then PTA President Geronimo Dalida backed by the guidance from District Supervisor Diosdado Delfin, Mun. Councilor Leon Magalit and Mayor Patricio G. Magalit took the initial steps for the goal of having a high school in New Washington. Their efforts succeeded and the school opened in 1948 with the help of the funds from the province of Capiz (Aklan was part of it then). It offered General Secondary Course and held classes in the Municipal Building. Mr. Felimon Guillien was its first principal.
The school took the name New Washington High School when it progressed to complete secondary course and eventually had increases of enrolment. In 1945, the funds were transferred from Provincial to Municipal Administration and the school was adversely affected. There was a decline in enrolment. The school authorities threatened to close the NWHS.
In 1956, Aklan was separated from Capiz. Mayor Bartolome L. Venus, Jr. who has just assumed office exerted all efforts to save the school. Thru his initiative, Congressman Godofredo P. Ramos presented before Congress House Bill 7174 providing for the conversion of the New Washington High School into the Aklan National School of Fisheries. It was immediately approved by Congress in 1957 and came into operation as Republic Act 1931.
When the new Fishery Education Curriculum was implemented, there were series of improvements especially in terms of infrastructure. More teachers were taken in to cope with the increase in enrolment. Mr. Telesforo S. Lina acted as principal. A succession of principals followed: Mr. Victorio Sison succeeded Mr. Lina when the later was assigned to the General Ofice. Mr. Sepas Flores came next when Mr. Sison was promoted. Then, Mr. Elpedio Icamina succeeded Mr. Flores.
The marked improvements gained attention from school officials. In January 1963, the ANSF became the venue of a National Workshop on Vocational Courses for Fishery Secondary Schools. The Fishery School Principals endorsed Aklan National School of Fisheries as the best in the Philippines. This inspired Congressman Godofredo P. Ramos to work for its conversion into college.
Congressman Ramos presented to Congress House Bill 4390 in January 1963. The bill provided for the conversion of the Aklan National School of Fisheries to the Aklan National College of Fisheries. The bill was approved by the Senate in May 1964, and signed into the law by President Diosdado Macapagal in June 1964, which became known as Republic Act 3844. With this new law, the Aklan National College of Fisheries offered a Secondary Fishery Curriculum as well as collegiate courses. More college courses were offered during the advent of Supt. Lucio M. Arquisola who played much part for the progress of this college. He spent many years as Superintendent of ANCF. Then Governor Roberto Q. Garcia and Mayor Eriberto L. Venus played important roles for the development of ANCF.
Under the administration of Supt. Arquisola, succession of principals took place Mr. Elpidio G. Bruno in 1967-1973; Mr. Daniel F. Tefora took over in 1973 when Mr. Bruno was promoted as Regional Supervisor in Region 1. In 1978, Mr. Preslito L. Testa took over until his retirement in 1991. Mr. Ruperto I. Cayetano succeeded him from 1991 to 2003.
Superintendent Lucio M. Arquisola himself retired from the service in May 1972. Mr. Ricardo S. Andres for the meantime was appointed Officer-in-Charge until in 1994 when Mr. Renato Z. Gepty, who was then Vocational Agriculture School Administrator of the Ibajay National Agricultural and Industrial School, was assigned as Officer-in-Charge of ANCF until the regular appointment of Superintendent Manuel R. Remaneses on May 16, 1996.
Superintendent Remaneses retired from the service in October, 1998. The Commission on Higher Education designated Dr. Victor E. Navarra, Education Supervisor 1 of CHED-HERO 6 to be the Officer-in-Charge for one year. After Dr. Navarras term, Dr. Elenita B. Andrade was designated Officer-in-Charge on August 5, 1999. She was appointed Vocational School Superintendent II on August 14, 2000.
On April 4, 2000, President Gloria M. Arroyo signed into law Republic Act 9055 which provided for the integration of the ANCF with the Aklan State College of Agriculture to expand the scope and programs of what is now the Aklan State University.
Being true to the commitment to fisheries education and development, the former ANCF became the Universitys Campus for Fisheries and Marine Sciences, Dr. Elenita B. Andrade was designated Campus Dean and is on the steering wheel towards a successful journey to further development.
Education courses continued to produce quality graduates which made the school as a leading institution as far as passing the Licensure Examination for Teachers (LET) is concerned. These graduates filled the needs for teachers in both public and private schools in the province.
More courses were offered to meet the demands of the young people on an affordable opportunity. The school opened the Bachelor of Science in Marine Biology, Bachelor of Science in Hotel and Restaurant Management, and the Bachelor of Science in Customs Administration.
To meet the call of environment awareness, The Bachelor of Sciences in Fisheries program offered Coastal Resources Management as a specialized field.
As a breakthrough of coastal resource rehabilitation awareness, the school embarked on adopting old and abandoned fishpond areas for rehabilitation purposes at Isla Kapispisan, Barangay Pinamuk-an, New Washington, Aklan. Hand-in-Hand with the Local Government Unit headed by Mayor Edmund R. Peralta, the ASU-SFMS provided new hope to the area by massive replanting of mangroves. Envisioned to be a reforestation and eco-tourism venture, the effort was enhanced by the production of fish and replanting of extinct shellfish. The project has invited the attention of other sectors and gained popular acceptance from the public.
In August, 2006 the school successfully passed the preliminary visit for accreditation purposes as conducted by the Accrediting Agency of Chartered Colleges and Universities in the Philippines (AACCUP), thereby, accrediting the Bachelor in Elementary Education, the Bachelor in Secondary Education, and the Bachelor of Science in Fisheries.
The post-harvest technology field opened the tourism education center in October, 2006 to cater to fish processing education as part of the tourism program of the national government.
One of the recent developments is the construction of the alumni hall which is being at the auspices of the alumni association.
Due to the accreditation of the courses, achievement in terms of graduates and projects, and faculty competencies, the school of fisheries was elevated to the level of college of fisheries by the Board of Regents on May 3, 2007. Thus, the school is now known as the ASU-College of Fisheries and Marine Sciences.
There are no images provided.