Structural Engineer Job Description
Other job titles for Structural EngineerCivil Engineer, Structural Civil Engineer, Structural Design Engineer
What does a Structural Engineer do?
Structural Engineering is a specialization or sub-discipline of Civil Engineering. Structural Engineers design, plan, and oversee the construction of structures such as buildings and bridges ensuring that they are safe and can withstand elements that they are exposed to.
Duties and Tasks:
- Prepare reports, designs, or drawings needed for projects
- Calculate pressures, loads, stresses, and strains of each component of the structure
- Selecting appropriate construction materials considering strength
- Examine structural risks and improve structural integrity
- Monitoring and inspecting process of work by contractors and any other workers involved
- Inspecting conditions and foundation of properties
- Computer aided design (CAD) software
- Three-dimensional conceptual skills
- Blueprint creation
- Diagrammatic skills
- Materials requirements, planning logistics, and supply chain software
- Highly skilled in mathematics and physics
- Material resources management - ensuring the appropriate use of materials, equipment, and facilities to complete projects
- Critical thinking - using logic to identify strengths and weaknesses of plans, explore alternative solutions, and come up with different approaches to problems
- Organizational, project management, planning skills
- Good communications skills – written and verbal
A graduate of BS Civil Engineering must take the Civil Engineering Licensure Examination in order to practice the profession. The Board of Civil Engineering facilitates the exam under the Professional Regulations Commission (PRC) and is scheduled in May and November every year.
Other Specializations/Sub Disciplines for a Civil Engineer:
- Civil Drafters
- Coastal Engineer
- Environmental Engineer
- Geotechnical Engineer
- Materials Engineer
- Structural Engineer
- Surveying Engineer (Surveyor)
- Transportation Engineer
- Water Resource Engineer
Structural Engineer Salary in the Philippines | Latest Structural Engineer Jobs |Explore Similar Careers
Structural Engineer Salary in the Philippines
How much does a Structural Engineer make?
The average monthly salary of a Structural Engineer in Philippines ranges between Php 13,500 - Php 45,000 (median: Php 28,550).