Medical Coder Job Description
Other job titles for Medical CoderClinical Coder, Clinical Coding Officer, Medical Records Technician
What does a Medical Coder do?
Medical Coders translate physician’s reports into useful medical codes. They do this by analyzing clinical statements made by doctors and then assigning standard codes (such as ICD or HCPCS) using a specific system. The reports they create are often used by insurance companies to process billing but they can also be used by local/national government, private healthcare organizations, and even international agencies for medical research, epidemiological studies, resource allocation, public health programming, public education, and more.
Medical Coders usually need to have a medical background and may require certifications depending on the requirements of a company.
Duties and Responsibilities:
These are some of the core duties and responsibilities of a Medical Coder, however, specific tasks will depend on the type of business, organization, client, or project.
- Classify medical and health care concepts using a standardized classification
- Reading records, clinical notes, or laboratory or radiology results of patients to determine what condition the patient had, what caused it, and how it was treated
- Assign appropriate codes from the specific classification and entering those codes into a system used to collect coded data
- Review codes to ensure that it is an accurate representation of what happened with the patient
Medical Coder Salary in the Philippines | Latest Medical Coder Jobs |Explore Similar Careers
Medical Coder Salary in the Philippines
How much does a Medical Coder make?
The average monthly salary of a Medical Coder in Philippines ranges between Php 0 - Php 0 (median: Php 0).
Medical Coder Skills & Qualifications | Latest Medical Coder Jobs |Explore Similar Careers
Medical Coder Skills & Qualifications
These are some of the skills & qualifications a Medical Coder needs. These may vary depending on the specific requirements of the business or organization.
- CPT coding
- HCPCS coding
- Inpatient coding
- Outpatient coding
- Clinical documentation
- Health information technology
Other Key Qualities/Abilities/Knowledge:
- Highly organized
- Writing skills
- Written and verbal communication
- Administrative & clerical procedures
- Information sensitivity & confidentiality
Bachelor’s Degree in Life Sciences, Pre-Med, Nursing, MD, Health Administration, or similar