Materials Engineer Job Description
What does a Materials Engineer do?
Materials Engineers evaluate materials and develop machinery and processes to manufacture materials for use in various products. They may also develop new uses for known materials. Materials Engineers usually specialize in metals, plastics, or ceramics. Others may specialize in graphite, metal alloys, glass, and other naturally occurring materials.
Duties and Tasks:
- Develop, modify, test, and evaluate new or existing materials
- Review new product plans and make recommendations and provide technical advice for material selection and suitability
- Analyze product failure data and laboratory test results to determine the causes of problems and create solutions
- Conduct or supervise tests on raw materials or finished products to ensure their quality.
- Design and direct the testing or control of processing procedures.
- Monitor material performance and evaluate material deterioration.
- Guide technical staff in developing materials for specific uses in projected products or devices.
- High scientific and technical knowledge – applied chemistry & physics
- Computer-aided design (CAD) software
- Materials resources management – ensuring the appropriate use of materials, equipment, and facilities to complete projects
- Critical thinking – ability to identify the strengths and weaknesses of plans, processes, and materials. Explore alternative solutions and come up with different approaches to problems
- Organizational, project management, planning skills
- Good communication skills – written and verbal
Materials Engineers specializations:
- Ceramics – develop ceramic materials and processes for making them into products
- Composites – develop materials with special engineered properties for applications in aircraft, automobiles, and other similar products
- Metallurgical – specializing in metals, such as aluminum and steel
- Plastics – develop and test new plastics or polymers for new applications
- Semiconductor processing – apply material science and engineering principles to develop microelectronic materials for computing, sensing, and other similar applications
Other Specializations/Sub Disciplines for a Civil Engineer:
- Civil Drafters
- Coastal Engineer
- Environmental Engineer
- Geotechnical Engineer
- Materials Engineer
- Structural Engineer
- Surveying Engineer (Surveyor)
- Transportation Engineer
- Water Resource Engineer
Other job titles for Materials EngineerMaterials and Processes Manager, Materials Development Engineer, Materials Research Engineer, Metallurgical Engineer, Metallurgist
Materials Engineer Salary in the Philippines | Latest Materials Engineer Jobs |Explore Similar Careers
Materials Engineer Salary in the Philippines
How much does a Materials Engineer make?
The average monthly salary of a Materials Engineer in Philippines ranges between Php 11,500 - Php 49,700 (median: Php 30,600).