Civil Engineer Job Description
What does a Civil Engineer do?
Civil Engineers plan, design, and oversee the construction and maintenance of building structures and facilities such as roads, railroads, airports, bridges, harbors, dams, pipelines, power plants, water systems, sewage systems, and others. They monitor and direct projects to ensure compliance to intended design and specifications, and provide technical advice to construction personnel. Civil engineers are expected to be familiar with CAD and graphic rendering software, projects, and materials management.
Duties and Tasks:
- Inspect project sites to monitor progress and ensure compliance to design specification, safety or sanitation standards, and other regulations.
- Coordinate safety compliance activities
- Manage the construction and operations activities in the project site
- Provide technical advice to industrial or managerial personnel for details on design, construction, modifications, or repairs.
- Direct or aid in surveying for installations
- Test building materials such as concrete, steel, asphalt, etc
- Perform or oversee soil test to determine the strength of the foundation
- Estimate quantities, cost of material, cost of labor, operational costs, and other factors to determine project feasibility
- Create graphical representations of structures
- Computer-aided design (CAD) software
- Industrial control software
- Three-dimensional conceptual skills
- Blueprint creation
- Diagrammatic skills
- Highly skilled in mathematics and physics
- Materials resources management – ensuring the appropriate use of materials, equipment, and facilities to complete projects
- Critical thinking - using logic to identify strengths and weaknesses of plans, explore alternative solutions, and come up with different approaches to problems
- Operations analysis - analyzing needs and product requirements to create a design
- Personnel management - ability to motivate and direct people as they work through problems
- Organizational, project management, planning skills
- Good communication skills – written and verbal
A graduate of BS Civil Engineering must take the Civil Engineering Licensure Examination in order to practice the profession. The Board of Civil Engineering facilitates the exam under the Professional Regulations Commission (PRC) and is scheduled in May and November every year.
Other job titles for Civil Engineer
City Engineer, Structural Engineer, Project Engineer, Structural Engineer